Tuesday, February 8, 2011

S'No Two, Too

First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.

This evening, as I begin my post for this week's tablescape, the snow has begun falling ever so gently...yet again.  This afternoon I set a Valentine's table for the Garden Friends.  After our weekly Bible study, I planned for us to share a simple lunch of homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and Spinach Salad, but I think that the 9 - 12 inches of snow that the weathermen are predicting will necessitate another cancellation.  It is a bonus blessing that I shall be able to share my design with my bevy of beautiful blog buddies.  (Do you like alliteration?  I just couldn't resist.)

Because I didn't know how many to expect for lunch, I set the table for six at the game table in the living room.  My handy dandy flip-top table top was a welcome tool, once again.  I decided that I could add additional place settings or even an extra table if necessary.  Today, flexibility needed to be the 'name of the game.'

I knew that I wanted to play with pink and green for today's table, and I was excited to use this green/floral cotton tablecloth.  It's been hanging in my tablecloth closet for quite a while.  I bought it for under $20.00 on eBay, less than it would have cost to buy the fabric and make it myself.  Tip:  I search eBay regularly for special tablecloths.  If I find a good deal on something wonderful, I'll buy it even though I have no idea how I'll use it.  I know that eventually, I'll find the perfect application for it.  This tablecloth is a wonderful illustration of that philosophy.  I usually search for cloths that are 90" to 120".  I find that they are the most adaptable to a variety of needs.

A number of years ago, my life revolved around delivering and retrieving our children from assorted sports practices, and attending multiple games every week.  Much of our entertaining involved suppers and parties for their teams each season...my specialty was "Make Your Own Taco" feasts.  I eventually reached the point that I was determined to have a set of 'girly' dishes because I wanted to entertain my lady friends.  I bought these handmade heart shape dishes at a local gourmet shop.  I don't use them often, anymore; but I still enjoy them, and they are perfect at least once a year for Valentine's celebrations.


For a charger plate, I used a large square Royal Cauldon embossed dinner plate.  These were a gift from my precious friend,Cindy @ http://www.moredesigningwomen.blogspot.com.  The flatware is L'Argent, "Sophia," a Tuesday Morning purchase.  Although I haven't seen them at Tuesday Morning for a number of months, they are still available through Horchow...for the same price.  The napkins were an inexpensive estate sale find...they are a heavy cotton.  I had originally chosen a light pink damask napkin with a geometric border, but they seemed to 'float' off of the table.  I think that the 'weight' of the stronger color is much more effective. 

I created my main floral centerpiece in the base of a Fitz & Floyd "Bunny Tureen,"  that originally belonged to my mother-in-love.  Once again, I liked the strong shade of pink because of the weight that it brought to the tablescape.  Have you noticed how it 'pops' the pink in the stylized tulips on the stoneware?  The flowers, from Sam's, of course, were the ones that I never used for S'NO BLEU TODAY because of last week's blizzard.  They are actually on their last legs, poor things.  I may have a table full of petals by tomorrow morning.

  While poking through an antique store, I found the 'shabby chic' pair of obelisks for $10.00.  I have a vision of entwining ivy in them...at some point...today, they are my source of candlelight.  The pair of small ruby glass tulipieres were $4.00 at the end of an estate sale.  Do you see the small lamb tucked in at the base of the centerpiece?  That is my 'conceit' for the day...it was a Valentine's gift from a long forgotten boyfriend when I was in high school...pure sweetness.

I've obtained so much mileage out of these Pier One pearlized goblets.  They were purchased a number of years ago for $1.00 per stem on deep clearance.  I keep checking, hoping that they'll decide to stock this goblet again.  I'll definitely pick up some extras.

I'm so glad that you could drop by for my luncheon.  It would have been extremely lonely here today without your blessed company at my table.  After lunch, we'll cozy up by the fireplace and have a good visit over a hot cup of tea or coffee.

Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, "Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "Tablescape Thursday.  Click  below to hop on over and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.






I'm joining Candy at The Little Round Table for The Colors of Love blog party.  Thank you to Candy and the Dish Divas for sponsoring this event.  Click HERE to check out all the fun for yourself.

You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her!    


Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

53 comments:

  1. I'm crazy about garden themes and love the trellis candle holders. The pink flowers are so perky! I'm sure your ladies love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very pretty table and I do adore the heart shaped dishes! So perfect for Valentine's! Love the theme of green and pink -- it's such a pretty palate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you're having to cancel a luncheon AGAIN! This has been QUITE a winter. Your table is lovely -- what fun, pretty china! It looks wonderful with your bright centerpiece and the striped napkins. I always enjoy reading about the history of your tablescape elements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in LOVE with the heart shaped dishes...what a great find, so different!! and the stemware.....I was always sorry to have missed that sale at Pier I....when I finally decided to buy those, alas they were all gone!!! He who hesitates....but I keep looking!!! hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your canceled plans - once again. But I am glad you dressed up the table just for us. It's magnificent. I LOVE those heart dishes. Especially girly and perfect for Valentine's. Your tablecloth and napkins are perfect together. Coming to see your table has certainly been a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful set of heart dishes, love patterns like this that can be used for more than one holiday! Your chargers are amazingly beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherry Kay, your sweet comments made my day! The Antique Roses is not an heirloom, I've collected and collected and am still collecting. Someone in Lubbock has a set (they bought it out from under me) and I'm going to every estate sale and antique store looking for it! (didn't mean that to sound morbid)....
    I browsed through the weird home post looking for the Ransom canyon home too.. Thanks for the heads up on shop in Dallas. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This, as always, is truly splendid! SOOO lovely!
    I'm sorry that you've had more snow weather, too. You're in GA, right? I'm in AL and we've had so much record breaking now these past few months. I'm leaving for Italy in a few days and part of me thinks that we'll "bring" the snow with us since it's been such an anomaly here in Huntsville!
    Back to your table--I adore the girly plates.
    And those shabby chic obelisks are going to be incorporated in multiple ways in future settings--they're so French!
    And the goblets you got on sale--fantastic finds!
    When things calm down for us here (and that might not be for a couple of weeks once we're actually in Italy/settled a bit) I'm going to write you an email about your daughter. I was in Christian music for years (signed to a small record label) and still write music for musicals, etc. and I think she is truly amazing and I want to encourage/help her in any way I can.
    I love how you start each tablesscape acknowledging what a blessing it is to be able to do things like this. I feel the exact same way. I wish I lived closer so I could come to your Bible study!
    Anyway....more soon!
    MANY Blessings to you and STAY WARM,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the heart shaped plates, beautiful table again.
    Love Karin
    karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cherry Kay, Your table is a happy reminder of Spring! Love those trellis shaped votive holders! I think you will find many uses for them. Stay warm! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherry Kay
    This is the dreamiest sweetest tablescape! the heart shaped plates are so pretty, they are reminding me to get a set out that my mom bought me years and years ago. As always a true delight.....
    xx
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cherry Kay -- I love the pink and green theme in this table, and of course, I love the heart-shaped plates and all the extras. You sure keep your eyes out and get the best finds! Sorry your dinner had to be cancelled. Thanks for sharing with us though. A sweet boy would give a girl a lamb. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the pink and green are just fabulous for Valentine's Day. I love the linens and the heart shaped plates are incredible. Those goblets are some of the prettiest I have seen. I would feel really special to be at your table.
    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tablescape. I especially like the heart shaped dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful table!! I love the tablecloth and dishes... everything is perfect for a group of girlie girls!! Aren't you glad the sun came out today and the snow stopped...I sure am. I am not a snow bunny that's for sure. Hope you stay safe and warm.

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in upstate N.Y. I 've got about 1 ft and half of snow on my deck and more coming. Have to shovel every day. I just love your heart dishes and the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those napkins were definitely a great choice. That was actually the first thing that I noticed when I looked at the table.

    I love pink and green together. This table is so pretty, and I really like those heart dishes.

    Pier One for that stemware?? I should have stopped there the last time I was near one. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tablecloth is just beautiful and what a great price too. I'm a sucker for all pink and green so your table is a real charmer to me. Wish I could have stopped by but I'm buried in the snow too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're are endlessly creative and inspiring. I wish I lived close enough to join your Garden Friends Bible Study! Lucky group. Terrific use of pink and green - a fav color combination of mine. Thank you for taking the time to share your ebay tips (love, love, love) and all the details about your lovely wares. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovin those girly dishes...I've never seen any that pretty!!! Your tablescape was so beautiful, it's a shame your friends had to cancel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Cherry Kay, what a beautiful table. I love the plates and the story behind them. The tablecloth is gorgeous. I love your theory that you'll always find something to go with it. I work on much the same theory. That's probably why I have so mujch stuff!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, I'm still coveting those green glass lamps in the background! Have I mentioned them every time I comment?????? And they are the same green as those sweet kermit mums. I know what you mean about a pile of petals. When they give up the ghost, they actually shatter!
    Snowing here in Ga. as we speak! It's everywhere, it's everywhere!
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so sorry you got cancelled again!!! This weather has been SO uncooperative this year! I just happenend to luck out for my luncheon last week. Four out of the five expected were able to attend. I understand about not wanting to drive in the bad snow, though. I know I prefer to stay put! That stemware was an EXCELLENT find at Pier 1!!! EXCELLENT!!! It's such a pretty color and has such a delicate look to it. Hooray for you!!! Love the obelisks, too! Your pretty plates in that gorgeous heart shape are fabulous, too. Looks to me like they could have a second go-round at Easter! They are so great!!! I can see what you mean about the light pink damask floating off the table. The napkins you chose are perfect! Another beautiful table!!! I'm glad that at least we got to enjoy it via the Internet! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cherry Kay~~ Your table is lovely and just adore those heart shaped plates! They go perfectly with the great tablecloth find on ebay. I also am always on ebay looking for....stuff!
    Thanks for all of your sweet comments you have left on my posts. Can you please send some snow my way? We keep missing it!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pretty table. So sad you have to cancel your lunch again. Those goblets are beautiful and for only $1. That is just amazing! I hope you stay warm in all that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a pretty table. Those heart shaped plates are beautiful. Ebay is a wonderful place for finding things. Did you see my Pink and Green Pretties post? It's after my current post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely setting for your luncheon, cancelled or not! Your table makes me hopeful spring is right around the corner. Love your obelisks serving as candle holders & your theory about your tablecloth working if you find it & love it... I share that philosophy, which drives my hubby nuts :-) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely beautiful!! Maybe there's lots of snow outside, but your table hints at spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful color combinations going on here, so very inviting and I adore your rose colored stemware!

    Thanks so much for joining my first linky party on The Little Round Table and I hope that you will be able to visit again soon.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Once again, I am so happy I came over to see your tablescape. I adore the flowers and the obelisks. You got a super deal on those goblets from Pier 1. Those would be great for a number of occasions! Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Cherry Kay! Your friends really missed out, so unfortunate, but I am so happy that I got to see your lovely table! You always have such unusual decorative pieces, such as your obelisks and your gorgeous heart-shaped plates--which I adore! You definitely know how to put things together because the napkins and centerpiece really do pop. Not to mention those lovely goblets, those are amazing. I'm wondering, do you also purchase rectangular tablecloths on ebay? Beautiful table and setting, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Simply beautiful! Love the utencils!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love those girly dishes! So pretty, and the stems are just beautiful!
    I used an ebay purchase for mine this week, but mine were .99 for 4 plus 4 bucks shipping! The shipping is the killer!
    Lovely table again, CK, and hope you will be able to have real guests soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Cherry Kay,

    I like alliteration very much, but I love your gorgeous tables even more! Thank you for sharing your talents, your collections, and your warm hospitality!

    Warmest regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi CK,

    How wonderful of you to own those gorgeous dishes. I can't believe you found such great treasures. Here, I just drool of all your things. But loving them, for me you are one of my inspiration of my TS.

    Happy TS, Lady,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  36. The pink and green is very pretty. Beautiful tablecloth. The heart shaped bowls, I love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Every time I see a tablescape, I think it is the cutest...and then I came upon yours.
    Those dishes...the heart shaped bowls...wow!
    It's just so cute. Perfect. You did a beautiful job! I love all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the "girl" plates, very pretty--and I'd love to have that tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's gorgeous...I echo that feeling of carting kids to and from sporting activities...that's why it's so wonderful to share in your "girlie" tablescape. Just exquisite..
    Blessings from South Africa
    Shel xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. The handmade heart shape dishes are wonderful. I hope the weather starts cooperating so your guests can join you, but in the meantime, I will enjoy your beautiful tables in their absence :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cherry Kay, this is such a light and airy table which evokes a spring feeling even in the midst of frigid temperatures we all seem to be experiencing. Thank you for thinking ahead and warming us up inside. Lovely

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your Beautiful Tablescapes sweet lady!!!your dishes shaped like a heart are perfect for Valentine's Day ~~~~ I hope you have a great weekend. xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is the perfect Valentine's tablescape. I love,love, love those heart shaped dishes and pink stemware. I forgot I have a huge white heart shaped platter. Maybe I will get it down before Monday and use it. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing. You have a great weekend too! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh this is so pretty. Those pink stems are lovely! Lvoe your plates -- thanks for inviting us girls! At least your bloggy friends are never snowed out!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love all the heart dishes and the pretty and romantic tablecloth. Perfect! I love to come upon what you do pretty lady, it's so exciting to visit you. Thank you for sharing. Have a great week end.
    Happy Valentine's
    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  46. SNOW!!! It certainly puts a crimp in plans!! Your table is beautiful; your have so many pretty heart shaped dishes! The pink and green color scheme is so lovely and hints of spring!!!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog...I love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just now finally making the rounds! Your pink and green tablescape is so pretty! I love your centerpiece and yes, it really does bring out the flowers on your cute heart plates. Your goblets are gorgeus I can see why you hope to find more. Beautiful tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You are indeed blessed, Cherry Kay, to have so many beautiful things with which to work. Every setting is elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  49. The heart shaped dishes are really cute! It all looks so pretty with the striped napkins, the glassware and tablecloth. What a bargain on the obelisks. I hope you will also show them to us when you wrap them with some ivy. That sounds so pretty!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my, your heart shaped dishes are gorgeous!! Wishing you a very Happy Valentine's Day!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the beautiful table, and it goes to show that with some thought, planning and sourcing you can find plates and dishes for theme. The heart shaped plates are a must for any valentines dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great table! I especially love your pearlized goblets. I don't have any pink ones. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Fantastic as usual, I simply love those plates and pink goblets. A real treat coming to your blog. I could sit here all night looking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram