Friday, May 27, 2011

The Tables of Florence


First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.


May has been a wild and marvelous month.  Sweet Mister whisked me away to Italy for a magical journey to Florence, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, and Rome.  It was a dream trip from beginning to end.  I did think of my wonderful blog friends, and I made an effort to find tablescapes in each city to share with you.  In addition to a few of my favorite shots captured as we explored each day, I want to treat you to a peak at some of the Tables of Florence, Italy.

Probably dating from Roman times, Ponte Vecchio, "The Old Bridge", the oldest of Florence's six bridges, is one of the city's best known images.

Just one of the local churches that we happened to enter...Santa Maria del Carmine. Does the ceiling of your church look like this?  Ours doesn't.

 A small outdoor cafe for a glass of Italian vino...tranquil...charming...perfect for a restful break after miles of walking.  We averaged 7 - 8 miles each day.  Even with the amazing food, I lost 2 1/2 pounds on our trip!  Woohoo!

Trattoria del Carmine, was recommended by a friend who used to live in Florence.  We thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

The evening was cooling quickly, so we opted for an inside table...good choice.  

An opening course of prosciutto ...I said that I was going to share with the table...but I ate every delicious bite!  Grilled shrimp was the main course...best I've ever tasted.

Loggia dei Lanzi, or Loggia della Signoria, adjoins the Uffizi Gallery.

Galleria dell'Accademia, Firenze

Palazzo Pitti
Another day of visiting amazing historical places...



with stops in between for lunch...


...and dinner at Camillo's.

 One thing I realized while traveling through Italy...Europeans don't drive those little cars to save on gasoline consumption.  They drive those little bitty cars because nothing else will fit down those centuries old...incredibly narrow streets!  They would have to drive those tiny cars if gasoline was still
$ .25 per gallon.  Most of the streets are one way because they'll only accommodate one lane of even these miniature cars.  It's nuts!  There are a gazillion mortorcycles.  The guides refer to the cyclists as 'mosquitos' and dislike them intensely.

Around almost any corner you can find a charming outdoor cafe...


...with amazing vistas of Florence.

Our last night in Florence, we dined al fresco at Trattoria Pallottino, a delightful restaurant...


...that just happened to be located right next door...





...to the best gelati shop in Florence, Il Gelato Vivoli.  Oh my...so delicious!  A perfect end to a perfect day...tomorrow we head for Sorrento and the Amalfi coast.

I hope that you have a trip to Italy in your future.  Thanks for letting me share a few moments of our amazing adventure.







Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, "Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "Tablescape Thursday."   Hop on over HERE and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.


You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her!   


Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

13 comments:

  1. Firstly, you're such a sweetie...thank you for the shout out on 'More Fun Less Laundry' on the South African tablescape! It was a "fun aspect" of South Africa.
    I'm in love with your photos...we are hoping to celebrate our 50th's here next year....so this is truely inspirational...thank you for sharing and have a great weekend!
    Shel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry Kay, How absolutely stunning. I love your photos, they all take back on a short trip! I know you are having a great time.. Lots of travel mercies prayed for you. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic trip. Love the open markets and colorful fruits and veggies. Their tablescapes are not, however, up to your stellar standards. Thanks for sharing. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cherry Kay, Oh you must be having such an incredible time. Your photos are so beautiful, I feel as if I'm there too...well almost. My husband and I were just talking about how we'd love to visit Italy. I'm going to share your post with him. All of the food and scenery is breathtaking. The ceiling in that church is amazing. You can just imagine the years it must have taken to complete such an exquisite work of art.

    Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long time since I was in Florence, and this was a wonderful way to remember that beautiful city. It looks like you had a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherry Kay, you are making me soooo excited! I just drooled over everything, the architecture is my favorite, the bridges, the food, the restaurants. I can't wait! We leave Monday and it definitely won't be long enough. I am already thinking of extending and letting those who need to get home, go home and I will stay! Continue to share. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, my dear friend, you look so pretty and so happy in your photo! Now, for Italy, it is my very fav country in Europe, I'm very jelous, wish I was there! I love all that food, wow, Italian food. Thank you for all you've shared, such gorgeous photos! Happy Pink Sat., I'm also celebrating at Beverly's.
    Lots of hugs.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us! This looks like it was a fabulous time. The food looks beyond delicious. Thanks for stopping by -- hope you enjoy the Cherry Trifle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to be whisked away to Italy! What a fun trip, but how in the world could you decide which pics to take? I'm afraid I would miss something incredible for all the picture-taking I'd be doing! Renaissance Man is toying with the idea of a trip in the Spring... Maybe I'll suggest Italy. So glad you got to go, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you back home Cherry-Kay?! I'm so sorry you're not in Italy anymore! Lol! Your photos are just great, I love, love Italy! Thank you for your so very generous comments, you're a truly lovely lady! Have a nice week and share some more pics from Italy.
    Lots of hugs
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    What beautiful photos! My older son just returned from Italy. My son's fiance's sister was married there last week. It is a dream of mine to visit Italy one day so I really enjoyed your post. Thank you for sharing! Have a happy day! xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. drool drool drool!!! oh Cherry Kay, is it wrong to be jealous...probably...then I'm very wrong!! I came across this post while trying to find the one that you told me to find! "Bavinger house". I got stuck on this one and sat with my bottom jaw gaping in a very unattractive way. lol. I love Italy so much and really miss Europe. NZ is so far away from everywhere. We used to go over to Europe a lot from the UK. Well anyway, it was good to see you enjoying your time there so much.

    The architecture is to die for. I love all the old streets and can just imagine all the life there with people wandering around selling there wares, before the days of cars. The Italians certainly know how to enjoy themselves when it comes to food and the old vino. It has to be the most widely consumed food around the world I would have thought, wouldn't you?

    Anyway my love could you please send me a link to The Bavinger house, as I have to pop out now and don't have the time to go through every post. If not doin't worry I will search later.

    By the way ahve you asked Candy at the little round table about putting music on your blog. she has it on hers. I'm afraid I'm still a technoidiot when it comes to that. Maybe I'll ask the blog fairy!

    Good luck Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram