Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Contemplating Peace

"First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. During this beautiful season when we celebrate harvest and Thanksgiving, I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.
**************************************************************************
**************************************************************************

My heart hurts for the people of Boston and for the participants in the Boston Marathon.  My niece ran in the marathon.  She is a very good runner, and she finished shortly after the winners in the race, about three hours. She was participating with friends, and we thought that she might have waited at the finish line for some of the slower ones to complete the run.  We were terrified when we couldn't reach her.

As it turned out, she had gathered her things and was on the subway, two stops away when the explosion occurred. She was evacuated from the subway when authorities closed the lines, and it took some time for her to reach her hotel where she could contact our family.  It took a while longer before my heart came out of my throat enough for me to swallow.  Prayers of praise are still flying to heaven.  We continue to pray for the victims and the entire city of Boston.

I was beginning to set my table when the horrific news came flying over the air waves.  I had grabbed some Murano type rose bowls, and I kept thinking that they reminded me of the way  Earth looks from space as astronauts orbit the world...serene, peaceful...a melange of glorious colors.  What has happened to that world?  When I heard the news, I wept and prayed 2 Chronicles 7:14 -

" if my people, who are called by my name,
 will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways,
 then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  NIV

These are the thoughts, the emotions, the pain, and the prayers that led me to share a simple, hopeful design with you this week.

These are Murano knock-offs, purchased inexpensively at one of my favorite local florists.

The soft green Williams-Sonoma Hemstitched tablecloth, an eBay find, reminded me of the greening of Spring lawns and long awaited foliage.

The Bormioli glass chargers, a Gordman's find, repeated the rich color of the rose bowls and brought to mind tropical oceans.  The brown handled flatware was a Horchow's Click-Tock Sale find.  Tip:  Signing up for email lists with you favorite stores can sometimes lead to wonderful savings on great products.  The email offerings are often specifically for their email customers. The bargains will not be available in the stores or on their websites.  You can always hit delete if you don't have time to explore, but it might be worth your time to take a peak.

The Coalport Athlone Brown reminded me of good earth, turned and ready to receive tender summer flowers.

La rim shot.

The hemstitched "Antique" (color name) napkin and the Pier One napkin ring pull even more colors from the rose bowls.

The Vietri recycled glass goblet lends another "water" touch to the table.

Peaceful...like we pray for our land and our people.

I'll invite the Garden Friends, who have time to share lunch, to join me after our Bible study tomorrow.

Let me know if you happen to pass my way.  You are always welcome to join us as we study the Word and then for food and precious soul lifting fellowship.  We'll continue to pray for our long distance neighbors in Boston.

Wednesday is the 57th edition of Cuisine Kathleen's meme, "Let's Dish".  I'm excited to be a charter member.  Pop over (pun intended for the Chef Supreme Kathleen) and join the fun!

Lots of great ideas to be gathered when you visit Yvonne at Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips, & Tidbits.  Don't waste another moment...hurry on over!  

                                                                
Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme,  "Tablescape Thursday."   Hop on over and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 10:00 AM on Thursdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.

April...ours has run the gamut in just over a week.  Last week I noticed that my peonies were poking their heads up through the earth, and today our city awoke to an ice storm.  Fingers crossed for my favorite peonies and hydrangeas.  How about you?  With thankfulness for her dedication and efforts, I'm joining the multi-talented Tablescaper for her fabulous meme  SEASONAL SUNDAYS.  Hope to see you there! 

  
You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "The Tag Hollow Sessions""  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her!           









Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

23 comments:

  1. It's a lovely table, Cherry Kay. There's a calm to it - I'm sure the conversation will be the star of the luncheon when the surroundings are so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and yet so simple, the colors are lovely together. I love your centerpiece with the Murano. Those Bormioli glass chargers are great, specially the serene coor. Many blessings for Boston..again, what sad news! Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pretty table as always and I love all the elements together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherry Kay, the rose bowls are gorgeous. They work beautifully with the dinnerware and stems. So glad to hear that your niece is well. It was such a terrible day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry Kay, I love the Athalone brown. It's a beautiful color! I love the depth of color in band on this series of dishes. I get Horchow's emails already.. so much fun! The chargers are great way to tie the table together with those stunning vases. Your table is gorgeous! Boston just broke my heart. How sad, but you picked the perfect verse for prayer. It comes to mind often. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet post, Cherry Kay. Peace on earth would be lovely, if somehow we could achieve it. Lovely table - the colors are wonderful. I purchased the same flatware, during that sale. However, I bought the purple. Funny, since brown is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the simplicity of your table, Cherry Kay...and the colors...beautiful!
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a stunning combination!! Love this post.

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful tribute, Cherry Kay. I am glad your niece is ok but I feel so bad for the less fortunate ones. Your tables is beautiful as usual...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how you felt. My son was scheduled to fly out of Logan on 9/11. A young dad with a new baby! It was hours before we knew if he was safe, a sickening feeling.

    Love your earthy table, the brown, greens. Alma and I just ordered flatware from the Horchow sale.
    I got nice drapes for the dining room on the tick tock sale too.

    Keep praying, they need our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table is very dramatic, but serene. It's appropriately dramatic for all that has occurred.

    I'm so happy to hear that your niece is safe.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been glued to the radio or television ever since I heard the news. I was out running errands when I first got wind of what had happened, and I haven't left the house since. Just watching, waiting, wondering why this happened. So senseless and brutal. Your table speaks of peace and serenity that we all deserve in our lives. The awful few who would deny us that right have no heart, no soul.

    I love the "knockoff" globes. They look terrific with that melange of color. You were able to pick all those colors up beautifully in your dishes and other accoutrement. So very pretty!

    I'm glad all turned out well for your family and continue to pray for those families who were not blessed with that "I'm OK" call.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to echo Pondside. It's truly beautiful -- how could I not love it, when turquoise is my favourite colour? Take care and God bless, and enjoy your lovely home and friends, xoxox Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shouldn't ignore my emails like I do, I guess. The bowls are beautiful and such a fun centerpiece. Those goblets are gorgeous - perfect water color. Yes, It is certainly so sad. I guess one of our good friends was on the Today show - he had just finished the race 4 minutes before and was in the tent. As my son showed me a picture of a man who had lost both legs being wheeled out, I was just sickened. This was a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very elegant. I really like the brown plates.
    I am glad your niece is okay. Yes, lots of prayers for all those in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What rich colors are on your table. With those beautiful vessels providing the palette, you need little else. How lucky we are to share joy rather than evil, and I am so sorry for the people whose hearts have gotten so far from that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful table! I'm always drawn to water elements and when I first looked at the table, I felt a little hitch, and then, ahh . . . I was at home. What a sad, dreadful day in Boston! My heart goest out to those families, and to the entire city. I don't know how anyone could remain unaffected by such an atrocity. Your table was a comforting anchor. The water relaxed, and the brown comforted. I already receive a few e-mails from favorite stores, but I think I need to do a few more. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely table and post! I too was so overcome with emotion about Boston..I was in Houston boarding a plane when the news hit. Your table is gorgeous and so meaningful!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a hopeful table to reflect the promise of Scripture. I think of that verse often. Such a tiny word - IF - with such monumental implications... I'm thankful your niece is safe. I continue to pray for the residents of Boston as well as those in West, Texas.

    ReplyDelete


  20. Beautiful table in a beautiful surrounding.love your home decor..watched the news and happy to see the crisis have come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I echo your sentiment about Boston. What a lovely tribute. The scripture you chose was just perfect. We, as a nation better wake up! I am so happy your niece was okay!
    And on a different note, you set such a pretty table. The rose bowls are so unique and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad your niece was okay. That still has to be such a traumatic time for each and everyone of those runners. Our nation just can't seem to wake up and realize what is going on.

    Your table was beautiful. How nice to have your sisters in the Lord over after Bible study. Enjoy!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a simple and elegant table. So serene. Those glass centerpieces are just gorgeous and what a wonderful message Cherry Kay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram