Thursday, December 8, 2016

Garden Friends Christmas, 2016

I'm thrilled to begin entertaining for this year's Christmas season.  It's been a long time since I've been able to keep going through the preparation, the event, and the clean-up process that follows; it's such a blessing to have more energy again.  Today I am hosting the Christmas luncheon for my precious Bible study, the Garden Friends.  We're in the dining room, and I've prepared a table for 8.  Come on in...

 This table seemed to happen organically.

 I pulled the charger and dinner plate first.  After that everything seemed to say, "Here I am...pick me!"


This is the second time I've used the Vietri gold charger.  You also saw it here.  It's quickly becoming one of my favorites.  The Oneida Gold Beethoven flatware, an estate sale find, continues to get a good workout this season.  Although I've had it for quite a while, this is the first time that I've used the Waterford Anya Red tablecloth.


The keynote speaker for my design was the Royal Crown Derby Old Avesbury dinner plate.  Although definitely not an identifiable Christmas pattern, the Avesbury is absolutely a desirable choice for any celebration...such an exuberant and beautiful design.


The white hemstitched linen napkin with gold embroidery design was a recent eBay acquisition.  I think that these lovelies will be found on my table frequently!  The napkin ring is a Macarone ornament that I sent home with my guests as a party favor.


I love the deep amethyst tail feather on the exotic bird in the Avesbury dinner plate.  It was the reason that I chose the Waterford Simply Lilac goblet.  The wine is Glastonbury-Lotus Goldenrod.         



Voila!   Ready to party.


I took an old Glastonbury-Lotus gold bowl filled with floating orchids...


 ...a glittery gold garland that loops like a ribbon...


...a pair of Williams-Sonoma Brass Arlington  Hurricane lanterns...


...an assortment of sparkling gold Christmas trees from Hobby Lobby...


...a pair of hand blown amber glass balls...


...and bam!...we had a festive centerpiece for our Christmas luncheon.

 We dined on Chicken Tetrazzini, green salad, hot bread, cherry pie, and Texas chocolate sheet cake.  I was still full when dinner time rolled around.


Although it was a bitter cold day outside...


 ...it was welcoming and warm around our table today.  We lingered at the table a long time after lunch, laughing and sharing funny stories and sweet Christmas memories.  That's my definition of a successful Christmas party!

This week I'm joining:

Tablescape Thursday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch





































Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

11 comments:

  1. Cherry Kay,
    Everything looks so beautiful and festive. I am glad you have your energy back too..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such elegance! Love your beautiful table. Such gorgeous plates!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sharing a meal at your home would be a very special treat not only because of the beautiful table and delicious food but because you have such sweet spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an elegant table. I loved your dinner plates, and that gold charger! Those gold trees made everything seem so festive, and your menu, definitely a winner for me, topped off with Texas sheet cake, which I like so much that I had it as groom's cake for my wedding. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very stunning Cherry Kay, those Vietri chargers are really a WOW factor! Love the gold with the deep burgundy color palette, gorgeous! I'm sure your friends felt like royalty during this special holiday luncheon-
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to hear you are enjoying entertaining again, Cherry Kay! This table is lovely. I have never seen the gold ribbon in your table - it is stunning with the trees! And your dessert of Texas sheet cake made my mouth water - an old friend used to make it, but moved away, and she made the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is over the top gorgeous elegant table which I love.
    Your dining room is my vision of an elegant dining room

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table settings are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us. You are always an inspiration to us all. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy happy New Year! Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning, CK! I know what you mean about the stamina to entertain, especially for a large group! I am finding myself sticking to 6! Best wishes for a very blessed 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I came across this blog while looking at old china patterns. I have been happily reading each entry year by year. Each photo in every blog is just GORGEOUS and wonderful commentary to compliment each snapshot. I am writing because 40 years ago the Old Avesbury was the pattern of china in my wedding registry! It is unfortunate that I did not receive a single piece of it. However, it looks just stunning in the table setting. I have since acquired the modern all white with raised white design called Romance Motif by Rosenthal. It pairs with every table setting and I have found through the years that it is easier for me to gain variety in table linen and serving pieces & decor. Your blog, though, makes it VERY tempting for me to start collecting different pieces of china patterns & stemware. I don't have the space really and wonder what my husband would say at this late age to begin acquiring more when we should be downsizing.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I came across this blog while looking at old china patterns. I have been happily reading each entry year over year. Each photo in every blog is just GORGEOUS and wonderful commentary to compliment each snapshot. I am writing because 40 years ago the Old Avesbury was the pattern of china in my wedding registry! It is unfortunate that I did not receive a single piece of it. However, it looks just stunning in the table setting. I have since acquired the modern all white with raised white design called Romance Motif by Rosenthal. It pairs with every table setting and I have found through the years that it is easier for me to gain variety in table linen and serving pieces & decor. Your blog, though, makes it VERY tempting for me to start collecting different pieces of china patterns & stemware. I don't have the space really and wonder what my husband would say at this late age to begin acquiring more when we should be downsizing.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram