Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Masquerade + Thanks to Yvonne at Stone Gable & Southern Style Home Decor

"First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. During this beautiful season when we celebrate harvest and Thanksgiving, I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.


It's all ready been a busy week.  My Haviland group has been busy preparing for this year's Theta Flaming Festival, Wednesday, November 2.  We spent a great part of today staging the centerpiece for the Festival's Tea Table.  I also designed an additional table with my Theta friend, Barb.  Remember that I'm a Chi Omega, and Barb and I have been creating tablescapes for this event for many years...a Panhellenic endeavor, if you will.  That said, I wanted to at least give a nod to Halloween.  I created 'Masquerade' for all of those who like to disappear for a few hours by donning a costume, a mask, and a new personality.

The game table in the living room has been turned into a 60" table with the assistance of one of our flip-top table tops.  In the foreground, the Lalique Eagle and Nana's old sterling presentation bowl give a hint of eye candy to come.

I made the black tablecloth out of....felt!  Entertaining Tip: If you need a large under cloth or just an inexpensive solid color cloth, take yourself to your local fabric shop and be amazed at the multitude of colors available in felt. It's about $5.00 per yard, and it is VERY wide.  It's a quick sew, and you don't even have to hem it!  How much easier could it be?

Do you love to get a package in the mail, waiting on your doorstep?  About a week ago, I opened a package to discover these glorious black and white quilted place mats and napkins from Southern Style Home Decor.  They sponsored a give away with Yvonne @ Stone Gable, and I was the winner of this lovely, generous gift.  Southern Style Home Decor has a wonderful online shopping site...check it out!  Thank you, Yvonne and Southern Style Home Decor!  I'm going to enjoy these fine linens for many years to come.

My inspiration for tonight's table was a collection of jeweled and feathered masks...reminiscent of Venice Carnival...

Of all the amazing things that we've received from our blessed Nana, this has to be one of my very favorites.  It's a Black Starr & Frost, sterling reticulated bowl,  from the 1920's.  If you peak under the black mask, you can see a small portion of the decorative brass 'frog' that fits the bowl.  The intricate art deco design work seemed fitting for my 'high drama' table.

On top of the quilted place mat, I set a black Hobby Lobby charger plate beneath our silver Baroque charger plate.  My mother-in- love's Reed & Barton, "Francis I" flatware continued the opulent tone of my table.  To crown the entire place setting...



...I chose some of our Lalique "Plate of the Year" crystal plates.  When Sweet Mister and I were married, almost 43 years ago, my mama, my mother-in-love, and I each started collecting the series of these beautiful plates.  We now have all three sets, ours to shepherd until it's time for the next generation to enjoy.  I wanted the incredible designs to glow, so I set them directly on the silver chargers.

The Lalique, "Treves" goblet and the Corbel silver goblet  were both part of my wedding trousseau.  If I had to choose all over again, I would still choose both of these stems.  I've used them often through the years. 




The decanter is St. Louis crystal.

The sterling master salt and pepper came from....you've got it...dear Nana.





A few Blue Hour shots.  I'm in love with my new camera, the Nikon 7000D SLR...so much smarter than I.  They were all shot sans flash...























...as were my candlelight shots.  Thank you, thank you Sweet Mister!  I'm reading about ways to use my camera more effectively every day.  Have you checked out The Pioneer Woman's blog site?  She has a really nice segment on photography with complete archives.  She loves Photo Shop.  I encourage you to check her out, if you've never visited her.  Her whole blog is pure pleasure.  Can you tell by the blue light emanating from the den that Sweet Mister was watching television?  If you had rung the bell at this moment, he'd have rounded the corner and offered you some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  We had so many trick or treaters that I wondered if we'd have enough goodies.  We did...and I took the excess to the beauty shop this morning when I went to get back to my 'natural blonde.'    Hope that you had a happy and safe Halloween!


Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "TABLESCAPE THURSDAY."   Hop on over and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.

When I think of Fall, I think of sunlit mornings and close friends gathered at my table.  How about you?  With thankfulness for her dedication and efforts, I'm joining the multi-talented Tablescaper for her fabulous meme SEASONAL SUNDAY.  Hope to see you there!



You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her!  
  












Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

41 comments:

  1. I absolutely ADORE every piece on your table, CK!

    Can't just get enough of your outstanding treasure.

    Hope you're in the best of everything as well as your fam.

    Hugs,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty and elegant table but I'm thinking more New Year's Eve than Halloween . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS! your setting is spectacular ... your guests must have been thrilled. Happy Wednesday..xo HL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful...so elegant. The Lalique plates are beautiful and what a collection of gorgeous masks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, MY, Cherry Kay! This is SO beautiful!!! It is an incrdibly beautiful nod to Halloween in the most elegant way!!! Magnificent indeed! It has all the mystery, none of the gore. I love it! I also really love your silver presentation bowl and reticulated bowl. Both fabulous pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very pretty. I love your goblets and the silver chargers are beautiful! I'm using my great grandmother's salt and pepper this week too. I love old treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just know that your "Nana" and I would have been the best of friends. She had such excellent taste and collected only the treasures of her era! Not that I can afford to do that, but I do have great taste. (giggle)....the table is the most elegant setting imaginable....the silver, crystal, ....it is all so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly elegant tablescape! Your new placemats look wonderful in your setting, too. Your Corbel silver goblets are so lovely.

    Thanks for the tip about using felt; that's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all breathtaking. Love those gorgeous masks and all your elegant silver. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tablescape...I love decorating with black.

    Jan @ BellaCasa

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! The black and white is just stunning with the masks and silver. I am so happy you are enjoying your new camera! You are doing a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was struggling for a word and then you used it:opulent! Between the treasures you have from your Nana to the striking placemats and napkins, this is one gorgeous table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an elegant and magnificent table setting! My favorite is the centerpiece but I love everything. Congrats on winning those wonderful placemats, Cherry Kay..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. One word for this...GORGEOUS!!! I love all of the silver!!!Everything is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This table is a total knockout! You have the most fabulous things and the know-how to put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new linens. This table is just lovely! Would be perfect for Mardi GRAS too. Very elegant,Cherry Kay. Love all the silver. I had Francis I too, but it was stolen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, what a magnificent table!!! Love the Lalique. You did a magnificent job of setting it as clear glass can be so difficult to show all of it's beauty in photography. Wonderful silver!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing and exquisite tablescape!! Love your linens...the silver is stunning, this is an outstanding, unique and elegant tablescape ever, I love it all, Cherry Kay! I've enjoyed looking at it...I'm going back to drool some more. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is truly elegant! what a fun table. Your silver goblets are fabulous! What a lucky bride you were. I got Pyrex!!!
    Your black cloth and the placemats are the perfect underpinning. I am definitely one of those who love to don a costume and be a different persona - I think it is unfulfilled stage dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your black and white linens. If I were a guest at this table, I would just sit and smile ;o) Very elegant! I should have kept all my silver. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the new linens.. they are soo pretty. The lalique plates are divine.. wow. The crystal glows on the silver chargers.. Your silver pieces are stunning. Your table is stunning.. great idea on the felt. So pretty once again. Your pics with the new camera are amazing.. you rock! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope the event went well! Love, love, love the felt idea! I will want to use that at Thanksgiving. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Elegant, simply elegant. I'm betting no one could have envisioned what a beautiful setting the placemats would be a part of. Lots of things here you can use again in February, Mardi Gras time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cherry Kay this is just incredible, a mix of a bit spooky and a lot of elegance a very interesting and unique Halloween table.
    Its so nice to get back over here to visit. Thank you for stopping by my blog and asking how I am doing...I have good days and bad, but over all I am much better and taking prilosec helps I really can't complain!
    I am trying to get back to the blogging..hopefully soon
    Can't wait to see what you create next
    xxoo
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I'm your newest follower and I also love silver. Your table looks wonderful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your silver selection is amazing. The silver goblets are absolutely breathtaking. What a pretty table.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Cherry Kay,

    What a knockout table!! You have so many elegant and unique pieces in this tablescape. First, I love your new placemats and napkins. What a nice gift to win :) All of your silver is stunning, and I especially love your goblets (crystal and silver). It looks like you had lots of fun creating this table.

    Congrats on your new camera; we're in the other camp at our house -- Canon people :) Your pics turned out great, they really did. I'm impressed. I just finished taking a photography class with my husband, but I'm still not very accomplished. Mr. Forest Manor did my pictures again. I enjoy The Pioneer Woman's blog, too. I think I've looked at most of her recipes. Have a great weekend Cherry Kay.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Wow, Wow, Wow! That sterling Black, Starr and Frost piece is 2die4!!! How nice that you love the things your MIL loved and gave you. The crystal and sterling goblets are wonderful too. Congrats on your blog win of the linens. Your black and white theme is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a dazzling table! You undoubtedly had a lot of fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I knew I liked you! My BFF is a Chi O, and so are several of my cousins. And my BFF's daughter is a Theta! SMALL WORLD!

    A bunch of us in my family are Tri Delts (including me), and we are all very simpatico with our Chi O friends and family members! :-)

    Loved this table. You always do such neat things, and I can't wait to see what you do!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely tablescape and thanks for the tip on the felt--great idea!

    And the mention of Tess of the ... we were talking about that book this weekend too, and I remember that was also one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh dear...I'm going to have to go to confession & do Penance for all the coveting I'm doing over this table, Cherry Kay! ;-) Such gorgeous heirlooms you've been given charge over, for the future generations to use & love. Splendid pairings of the dramatic black & damask & sparkling silver. *mega sigh* I love & want it all!!!

    fondly,
    Rett

    p.s. "back to my 'natural blonde." That's MY line, too! I was born a blonde, blue eyed baby & intend to die (dye?) one, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. Everything looks so perfect and pretty.

    Watched every picture like an art.

    Almost all my dinner table clothes are from satin fabric too my mom sews them and it looks great.

    Loved it

    Karin Åžen Cankan
    karinsfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cherry Kay, I'm in a "blue mode" tonight thinking about my Paris Blues, so I selected your blue hour labels to visit in the archives. ;-) This is a fun masquerade table. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have a set of china that I used last year with a pretty black lace design on the edge. I paired it with a set of Haviland purple striped plates and silver chargers. For the centerpiece, I used branches of tulip poplar tree from our yard. They have the creepiest dagger-looking points when the blossoms fall off and nobbley (sp?) wood! Perfect for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram