Monday, July 15, 2013

Summertime, and the Living is Easy

"First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.
*********************************************************************************

Several weeks ago, I was delighted to host a small group of women who met to initiate plans for our 50th high school reunion...there...I said it.  It truly doesn't seem possible that we'll celebrate that milestone in just another year.  We'd had a spat of rainy/cloudy days, so I wanted to bring a touch of summer color to my table for five.  You already know that we gathered in the living room at the games table.

Today's design all started...

 ... with the tablecloth...

 ...a charming ...chinoiserie style...

 ...incredibly inexpensive...

...eBay find!  My mind started spinning with ideas the moment that I unwrapped it!  I immediately knew that the Sophia L'Argent, found through Horchow and Tuesday Morning, would make the playbill  for my table design.

I found myself intrigued by lots of colored glass and crystal...

 The Vietri Amber Optic goblet...the pink pearlized Pier I goblet...


and the aqua green recycled glass decanters from Tuesday Morning played well with all the assorted colors in the tablecloth.

 The amber capiz charger plate provided a lovely golden glow...

 ...beneath the MacKenzie-Childs spring green enamelware charger plate.


 The Spode Blue Room Collection Byron Groups Floral plate...  eBay Tip:  Often I'll collect plates one at a time.  Many times I'll be the only bidder.  I picked these lovelies up for a low of $3.00 and a high of $9.00 each.  You can collect some really nice patterns for $10.00 per purchase if you're patient and willing to wait and watch for the good deals.  Just be cautious if you decide to buy a hand painted pattern.  If some little lady painted it for her daughter or granddaughter, you probably aren't going to find any more to match it.  Do your homework!

 ... the perfect, fluffy blue to bring out the colors...

...in the tail feathers of the various birds on the cloth.  The cornflower blue hemstitched napkin with the Pier I multi-colored beaded napkin ring added another pop of blue.

This is a pretty busy design, but I'm happy with the balance...yep...happy.

My centerpiece was the Jadeite pedestal bowl filled with my old friends, grocery store hydrangeas.  The bowl was flanked by a pair of jadeite footed tumblers hosting green hydrangeas and apricot alstroemeria.

 Ready to roll...

 Everyone is bringing a salad or dessert...


Looks like a great recipe for a productive planning session...and so it begins!

I'll be joining the following parties:
Let's Dish @ Cuisine Kathleen
Tutorials, Tips, & Tidbits with Yvonne @ Stone Gable
Between Naps on the Porch with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Show & Tell Friday

Come join the fun!




Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

14 comments:

  1. I can imagine that the planning was a lot of fun. I love the blend of summer colours - so real and of-the-moment. A flower garden on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry Kay, goodness we had our first planning meeting for my husband's 50th in 15. We start early. LOL. I know that the colors of the table were wonderful as a backdrop for the easy chatting and ideas that flowed at this gorgeous table. I love the tablecloth and you picked up the colors so well. A wonderful table. xo marlis ps. I always love seeing the side of the room with the screen and grand piano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry I am always inspired by your beautiful tables. I know there are lots of sites that show tablescapes, but I love yours the most. For the computer illiterate, could you do a post on your ebay eploits? Where do you go to find these plates? Just steer me in the right direction...thank you
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, this is elegant!!! It's got an Alberto Pinto flair to it. I love it!!! That tablecloth is just gorgeous, and everything you used on top of it makes so much sense to me.

    Hallelujah that you and your classmates will be able to celebrate together! I just lost a high school classmate last week, and it makes me treasure those long friendships that much more. You're still all spring chickens! :-)

    It's hot as a firecracker here, so I can only imagine what it's like there. Take care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So colorful and gorgeous, Cherry Kay. Love the blue and white plates. I love Spode's Byron collection. The flatware and the stems are gorgeous. Everything looks so beautiful together....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. This table is so cheery! I love the mix of colors and patterns. Looks like a spring garden! How special that you and your friends will celebrate this occasion together. With you on this committee, we know the party will be filled with beautiful details. I look forward to seeing that post! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a different look for you and I love it. All the patterns , colors and textures are terrific, and the table is tasteful, fun and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing how your great ebay find tablecloth began the creative juices flowing for this colorful festive tablescape. Having such lovely stemware, china and flatware and a myriad of decanters fit the playbill perfectly.

    Enjoy your reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am using this post, as a tutorial! I have Ralph Lauren tablecloths that I do not use very often, because they are so busy. However, the way you used your pieces balances the tablecloth so beautifully! Love the way you mixed all of the colors together and, of course, I always drool over your stemware!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! The tablecloth has such soft summer colors...you will get many great tables with those pretty colors! Your blue and white dishes are always a favorite of mine!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color glassware and the McK green plates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how beautiful my friend...as always, the most amazing settings with gorgeous elements, which I love, like your layers of dishes, starting from the great gold charger and lovely blue and whites, plus gorgeous stemware! I'd love to see your Mother's chandy in your foyer someday. Thanks for your wonderful visit. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the most beautiful treasures Cherry Kay. That tablecloth is a work of art. Truly magnificent. And your attention to detail is amazing. Very elegant table. How wonderful it would be to dine at such a table.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram