Tuesday, March 8, 2011

True Grace

First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.

It should be blatantly obvious by now that I have zero objectivity when it comes to my son and daughter and son-in-love and daughter-in-love.  I think that they are the greatest!  Both of my girls share my passion for gracious entertaining and tablescaping.  This week my post covers a lovely dinner that my precious daughter hosted for our family.  At the time they lived in a 1920's American Storybook Home that oozed charm and character.  The dining room was one of my favorite spots.

KC was excited to bring out her very best china, silver, and crystal for our special dinner party.  She made a trip to my house to dig Nana's wonderful vintage tablecloth out of one of my linen closets.  She snagged Nana's antique linen napkins while she was there, too.  I'm always thrilled to share our stash of linens with our kids for special occasions.  

David and KC were in agreement when they registered for their Vera Wang, "Duchesse" crystal goblets.  They lend such a genteel sophistication to the table.  KC chose her grandmother's pattern, Reed & Barton, "Francis I," for her sterling flatware.  Did you know that Francis I is the most popular of all silver patterns?  KC had originally registered for a lovely cobalt china pattern by Pickard.  Then one day she was in a local china and jewelry shop when she happened to notice a sales clerk pulling plates out from a normally closed cabinet.  The clerk all of sudden removed this plate...and everything changed.  KC said, "Mama, she pulled out this one plate, and it took my breath away.  I knew that it had to be my china."...

...And that's how she found her china pattern...Bernardaud Limoges, "Grace."  I told her that she shouldn't expect to receive very many pieces because it is so darned expensive.  She didn't care; she was ready to collect it slowly for many years.  By their wedding day she had received almost a complete service for 12, minus a couple of salads and desserts...incredibly generous friends...and family...I gave her a few pieces, of course.  I think that if I were to register again, I'd pick this gorgeous porcelain, too.  It's one of the most beautiful designs that I've ever seen!

Apple never falls very far from the tree...my sweet girl enjoys mixing and matching just like her mom.  Today she used her Haviland, "Ranson" bread and butters.  I collected a service of "Ranson" for her at the same time that I was building my own set.  For the centerpiece, individual posies were placed in small glass vases fitted with place card holders...just the right touch.

The entrĂ©e was in the oven; she baked her yummy lasagana recipe.  KC and David were ready for all of us to come to the table for salad.  What a delight...I'm one lucky mom!

Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, "Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "Tablescape Thursday.  Click HERE to hop on over and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.


You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her! 



Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

44 comments:

  1. That lace table cloth is gorgeous.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter sets a beautiful table. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Beautiful china -- a breathtaking china pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful,I also love that table cloth! Great room color too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tablecloth! Wow. And I too love those plates. They are truly exquisite. Your daughter does have your touch. Elegance galore. Sounds like a lovely family dinner. What a blessing your family is to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KC is definitely following in her Mama's footsteps, I see! She sets a beautiful table ... and she knows what she likes in china! "Grace" is gorgeous. Of course, Nana's linens always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The table is just stunning. I had never seen that Bernardaud pattern before and it takes my breath away too. Wow. I have a tablecloth very similar to yours. You inspired me to get it out and use it. Just fabulous table this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely table and how fun to enjoy it with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you are fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter! And I have to say, she's fortunate to have you as well. She has a great eye, that china is sooo gorgeous, and the tablecloth is just beautiful. Daughters are such a gift! I'm hoping mine will be interested in all this one day, but right now, she's too busy enjoying her last year of college. It took me a while, too, so I guess she has time. Thank you for sharing, it is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That china took MY breath away, too!!!! Heavens to Betsy...what a beautiful pattern! It looks like china one would see at Queen Elizabeth's (or Princess "Grace's" if she were alive today) own table! The base color is magnificent! I am also very much in love with the Reed & Barton flatware! Exquisite! I love flatware with Baroque design. It feels so substantial in the hand and looks so beautiful with just about every china pattern! How wonderful to have a daughter AND "daughter-in-love" who share your eye and love for fine things! Me? I got a boy! I'm sure I'll have visions of that china dancing in my head tonight. Wow! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful ... thanks so much for sharing ... love the tablecloth and the dinner plates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. KC's china is just gorgeous! She set a lovely table. I think you taught her well.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only does your daughter set a beautiful table, I can tell she puts her heart into it. Beautiful china, lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful china. I will have to go find so I can see it in person. You must share the details about that tablecloth! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breathtakingly exquisite china...the whole table is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is particulalry gorgeous china! How nice to share the tablecloth for her special dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful pattern of china. The whole table is really pretty. And how thoughtful of you to collect a service of "Ranson" for her too! Makes it that much more special to her I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this is such a sweet post!!

    It so nice that you have raised such a generous, lovely duaghter who is a tablescaper already!!! Everything is so lovely and I'm sure that she is a perfect hostess, having such a great roll model!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are indeed a lucky mum!
    I've never seen anything quite like that china pattern before. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. One can see after whom your daughter takes! This is so elegant...you have taught her well!
    Shel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful table! That china is absolutely exquisite. I am so happy that she received almost all of it. Thanks for sharing.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous table. I love the china pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  22. KC sure took after you and acquired your wonderful traits, Cherry Kay. So lucky and I can fell your pride. The table is gorgeous! The china is exquisite and there isn't anything on the table I do not like. It's just perfect and fabulous....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cherry Kay, I tried to find where I could email you an answer, but couldn't.
    The plate I painted was fired after I painted it...I went to a local paint your own plate shop. You pick out a piece of unfired, unglazed pottery, paint it to your liking and then the shop owner fires it / glazes it (I know nothing of this process!!) I just picked it up a week later and it looked like the picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I love the tablecloth, it is fabulous. I had Francis I as my silver, but it was stolen when we away for the summer one year.
    I think most of us feel the same way about our children, son or daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cherry Kay,
    What a lovely post about your daughter KC, and what a lovely and elegant table she set. That is so neat how she came on her china pattern and love that the name of it was "Grace". It is very beautiful, as she is!! So glad she got almost her whole set by her Wedding. God is so good,
    in his provision, I am sure he knew she would be gracious and hospitable like her Mom, and make good use of that china.

    Loved the song she wrote and sang. So glad you included that!!
    How Wonderful......She is surely a lovely and grace filled young lady. I will have to check out her music when I get a chance, cause I was sure
    impressed with her song and music. Don't blame you for being such a proud Mom.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
    Blessings for a Wonderful Day and Blessings on KC, her music and life!
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing your daughters table and her story. The built in hutch in the corner, the layout of the room (the kitchen is through that doorway, right?) This is the same as my grandparents house and the memories evoked seeing this blog made it doubly special. Thanks again.
    Miss Mindy @ The Howell Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a beautiful tablescape. I absolutely love the Limoges porcelain - stopped there last year on the way to Toulouse - that lace tablecloth is so delicate, I would love one just like it. Your daughter is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your daughter KC is just as amazing as her mother to come up with a table as stunning as this one! I love it that she likes it too, some girls don't follow our love for tablescaping and nesting, I'm also blessed with my two gils as they love it too!
    The dishes are gorgeous and your moms tbcloth is a treasure of love embodies in the generations of all you lovely girls. Thank you nice lady for sharing this very special table and God bless you all.
    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can see that KC has both your gift of good taste and for lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where to begin.......this table is just so elegantly appointed. The vintage cutwork cloth is beyond lovely and the china has my heart skipping beats......it is the prettiest pattern I have ever seen! She chose wisely and is purely "her mother's daughter" !!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, I'm not surprised that this is a gorgeous table!! LOVE the tablecloth. You are right, the china is just incredible! What a great choice. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. First time poster here. I must confess, I do love your tablescape, but what really caught my attention was the little peep we got of your painted chairs! I want to see more! I also love the table cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful table! How wonderful she shares your taste for entertaining & beautiful dishes & linens!

    ReplyDelete
  34. KC has beautiful style! This is such a beautiful table you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The table is just lovely! What a beautiful place to have dinner with your family! I can completely relate to your daughter's passion about working with the food bank. My husband and I (and our 3 year old) work at our local food bank once a week and occasionally a couple times a month at the free luncheons the local food banks coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The table is beautiful and I love that china pattern. My daughter has been watching me do things since she could walk...it is amazing how much they learn when we don't even know we are teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The table is just lovely but the china is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Out of town and trying to catch up. I agree, that Limoges just took my breath away too. What a lovely color and pattern too. I am sooo glad I didn't get anything I wanted as I picked something I would hate now! She has fabulous taste and will always love these beautiful, beautiful pieces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. First of all, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice compliment! Secondly, thank you for telling me that my Grandma's cake plate was a Fenton milk glass. I Googled it and called my hubby into look at it (since I just baked M&M cookies and put them on it he knows the stand WELL!). I was shocked that as a lover of milk glass I never payed any attention to the plate! It was an AH-Ha moment! Really, I don't know how oblivious I can be sometimes! SO thank you!!!
    And I love your formal tablescap (I would be stealing everyone's butter!)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cherry Kay, I love this post! It's just perfect. :o) I wanted to tell you that I featured your daughter's song and today's post on my Tuesday Tea party today at Comin' Home.

    Thanks for visiting last week. :o)

    xo
    Donna @ Comin' HOme

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those plates are stunning. The whole setting--the room, the built-in, the table details--is beautiful. I enjoyed each photo and detail revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just found your blog, and have read backwards to the beginning...I'm strange like that :^)
    What an education you have given to me!! Everything in gorgeous, and you really have extraordinary taste in putting it all together!
    I too am the caretaker of generations of lovely things and I have decided that I will use them allllll!
    Thank you for a wonderful blog with so much useful information.
    Blessings to you,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  43. this tablescape is so elegant and your tablecloth is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have been assembling sets of dishes for my daughters, as well. Right now, I am happily entertaining with them but I'm looking forward to the day they settle down and I can pass along stewardship of some of these precious pieces. Until then, I will continue to "add" to their sets (and find other, complimentary pieces to go with them!).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram