Wednesday, May 4, 2011

K.I.S.S.

First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.

It's been a lovely Spring week, and things have been relatively quiet after the Easter celebration.  It  was a perfect opportunity to invite a few close friends for a simple lunch.

The living room was ready to welcome my guests, and the game table provided ample space for a party of four.

K.I.S.S. ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.  A white matelasse cloth, purchased through eBay, anchored my tablescape, and soothing pinks and blues made for a relaxing, laid back time for food and fellowship.

Up to my old tricks again...I used the Copeland Spode, "Jewel", dinner plate as a charger placed beneath the vintage Ridgways, "Lynton" luncheon plate.  The Lynton pattern is also available in brown, for those of you who love brown and white dishes.  Both of the patterns were collected over a period of time through eBay.  The individual salt and peppers are MacKenzie-Childs.

Sam's, my personal florist, provided the flowers for my centerpiece.  The blue and white tulipiere, an estate sale purchase for $4.00, made it easy to showcase a simple bunch of pink alstroemeria.  The miniature blue and white pots were originally votive candle holders.  Today they served nicely to hold tiny clusters of candy pink sweetheart roses...seated at the top of each place setting.

The trusty Pier One, pink luster goblets, purchased on clearance a number of years ago, always add a nice to touch to any table.  I also have the matching wine goblets.  My guests were offered wine when they arrived, and they brought the additional goblets to the table when it was time to eat.

Our everyday stainless steel flatware, Wallace, "Antique Bead" lent a casual tone for my luncheon.  They were accompanied by vintage pink linen napkins with a scalloped edge.  The napkins are yet another eBay acquisition.  Are you sensing a theme?  I am a huge advocate for shopping on eBay.  One of my favorite entertaining strategies...a crystal decanter filled with water, waits to refill glasses for my guests.  I bought several of this decanter for $19.00 each at Tuesday Morning.

Today's "Triple Salad"...chicken salad, tuna salad, and fresh mixed berries/fruit salad...is prepared and waiting in the refrigerator for my guests to arrive.  Dessert will be my mama's Brandy Ice.  I hope that one day, you'll be crossing my threshold to sit at my table.  Perhaps we'll dine in this same spot.  That would be such a delight for me.


Here's mama's recipe.  I think that you'll like it.
BRANDY ICE
6 oz.  Brandy
1 oz.  Creme de Cacao
1 oz. Triplesec
1 oz. Drambuie
Place all of liquor in measuring cup.  Mix with 1/2 gallon premium vanilla ice cream, about a third of ice cream and 1/3 of liquor at a time in blender.  Return completed mixture to original ice cream container.  Replace cover.  Freeze at least overnight.  At Christmas, add a bow, and it makes a great gift to exchange with friends.  Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, "Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "Tablescape Thursday."   Hop on over HERE and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.


You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  It is available on iTunes or through her website.  I hope that you'll give her music a chance.  I know that I have zero objectivity where she is concerned, but I think that you'll fall in love with her music and her!       



   


Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

19 comments:

  1. Cherry Kay, I could think of nothing more lovely than to sit at any one of your tables. This one is so lovely. Love the matelasse, the dishes and those wonderful goblets. All very festive and will make everyone feel special! menu sounds scrumptious and I will have to try the ice! That would be a wonderful treat. Happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH everything is so pretty and the menu sounds wonderful! I adore anything Spode!! Happy Mother's Day..hope your day is filled with blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry Kay, you are the Queen of Ebay finds! That matelasse cloth is the perfect backdrop for this beautiful setting. The pale pinks & blues ARE very relaxing....not at all like MY colors this week! LOL

    I love the added touch of the individual S&P shakers on their little silver trays. The crystal decanter is also a very nice! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great table-so sweet and simple. I have taken your advice and started looking on ebay to complete my sets of dishes. I'm amazed at what is there! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry:

    You're luncheon looks so elegant, hardly simple. Love the Lynton luncheon plate. And your stemware, as always, is such an excellent choice.

    Mom's recipe sounds devine!I might have to copy this menu for a Spring luncheon of my own.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I just love the floral china. We're packing up everything to move, so no tablescape this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those dishes and beautiful floral center piece. I would love to join you in spirit if not in person. I do follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How delightful! ~ I really love your blue and white and floral centerpiece, menu and dishware! And you are indeed right, we do have such a rich abundance to be truly thankful to the Lord for!

    Good for your daughter, and all of the others in the world who so selflessly donate their time, resources and energies to help those less fortunate!

    Such an artfully composed vignette to alo be thankful for. Thanks for sharing and brightening our day!

    Please also accept my warmest invitation to pop by for some cyber 'tea and treats' sometime soon..,

    I also love celebrating all things afternoon tea and tea related tea each Tuesday at two of my blogs, whereby I/we host two weekly blog parties entitled, 'Teapot And Tea Things Tuesday' that I share with my friend Pam and also my 82nd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two', coming up this next Tuesday..,

    YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO JOIN THE FUN!

    Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee
    @ http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com
    and also @ http://silkenpurse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lovely lady. Your Tablescapes are just Beautiful sweet lady. You did a lovely job putting it all together !!! I also love your China with the floral centerpiece just Beautiful ~~~ I hope you have a Happy Mothers Day.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous tablescape!! Your guests will feel very honored to sit at it. The menu sounds delicious. I was just stopping by to wish you a wonderful weekend!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cherry,

    This table is just gorgeous!! I especially love the salad plates, the pink vintage napkins, salt and peppers, and the little pots of pink roses. You have done a lovely job once again. Please visit my blog if you have a chance; I did a Mother's Day tablescape. Have a great weekend!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just beautiful!!! I love the individual flower arrangements at the place settings! The color of your goblets is gorgeous. Your whole table is beautiful, warm, and inviting! Love the matelasse table cover. Lunch sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cherry Kay,

    You are an artist. Love the ebay finds, especially the table cloth. Pink and blue whisper of spring and gentle breezes. But your dessert screams "Party!" I can't wait to give it a try. Happy Mother's Day. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely and inviting table you have set. That beautiful tulipiere was a fantastic buy! Before reading your blog, I would have had to call it a flower thingy, but I like tulipiere much better. It's gorgeous and really adds to your table.
    Your menu sounds yummy. I have copied the Brandy Ice recipe and hope to give that a try one day.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to sit down at your table and enjoy some real life conversation amongst your gorgeous tablescape. We would talk about all our dishes, exchange recipes and laugh a lot, I am quite sure!
    You have set another LOVELY table. I truly love the color combination, the centerpiece and everything wrapped up into a pretty package!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours you used for this are so inviting. Who wouldn't wish to sit for a long,lovely salad luncheon? I'm now on the hunt for a tulipiere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely setting for your luncheon.
    Love your pretty dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very sweet and charming table, Cherry Kay. I am sure your firends enjoyed it....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is there any color that doesn't go with a blue & white combination? Um, NO. I would be hard pressed to choose which is my favorite "additional" color. Depending on the season (and event) it could be yellow...red...tan...green...and especially pink!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram