Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dining in the Snowy Woods, 10.16.13

"First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.
**********************************************************************

This week Cuisine Kathleen has challenged us to design an all white Fall tablescape.  I found myself still thinking about the woods in Fall, and since we were shooting for all white, I decided to add elements to represent snow and ice.  Think Vail and Aspen.

Even the pumpkin patch and the pine trees are covered with a dusting of snow.

We're in the dining room today, and I've set a table for eight.

To stay within the guidelines of Kathleen's challenge, I've used a white on white palette with the addition of one color, shades of brown.

I shopped my accessory closets for the centerpiece.  A bumper crop of Pottery Barn mercury glass pumpkins were paired with a selection of mercury glass candlesticks.  The serpentine grouping of snow covered pinecones is simply a pair of garlands from Michael's.

 Chosen to prevent the white dinnerware from fading into the white matelasse tablecloth, the hammered bronze charger plate was a great get at an estate sale...

 ......quickly becoming my go-to charger plate, the Maryland China Company Minuet charger plate seemed to be an obvious choice...
 ...to collaborate with the Wedgwood Countryware dinner plate...


 ...and the Royal Doulton RD199 luncheon plate.  Tip:  I am an advocate for luncheon plates.  They are so versatile!  Not only can they be put to work as a luncheon plate, they also work beautifully for salads and desserts...especially a big honkin' piece of delicious cake!

 Today the antique white shades of the antique carved flatware and the L'Argent Sophia flatware added a touch of needed contrast to my design.

Repeating the taupe shades of brown in the garland, I chose the Pottery Barn Flax hemstitched napkins.

Just for you, Kathleen, I left my colored "cased" crystal in the crystal closets today.  I paired the Mikasa French Countryside goblet with the Tiffin Chrysanthemum (My name for it...I have no idea what it's really called) wine goblet, an estate sale find.  I like the silver reflecting through the crystal stemware.

My guests might need to wear their coats to the table for dinner in the snowy woods...I kind of like the thought of that!  Bundle up, and come on over.  We'll linger after our meal for fellowship...even if we need to put on our mittens!

This week I'll be joining the following parties:

Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

28 comments:

  1. Your table is delish, just so beautiful with the mercury glass and the wonderful chandy, I should actually have those candelabras on the buffet, they are absolutely stunning, I love the whole room and I especially love the color tones and textures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY! Cherry Kay...
    this is absolutely gorgeous!..I love everything about your table..and I mean it..everything! You surely know how to set a table that creates an atmosphere...wonderful!
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning as always...dishes, stems, chargers, lovely flatware the Antique carved, (I have the Argent Sophia's, and I love it too!) The most gorgeous thing here is your ALL mercury glas elongated centerpiece, my friend...FABULOUS!
    I am working myself away cooking, cleaning and making flowers for 14 friends dinner party this Frid. evening! I'm tired, but having fun with the preparations. I'm using my new blue and white transferware collection dishes, as now I have a 12 place setting of them.
    Love,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful table. While the assortment of white chinaware was great, the silver pieces were spectacular. Every one should try to model their tables after yours. Your table brings a smile to my face.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want all your mercury glass! I love it! I have been looking at it for sometime.....now that I got that all out!
    Your table is stunning! I do love your white china. Your table does remind me of past snowy days in New York. Just wonderful.....
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just perfect! Love the mercury glass and the pumpkins on the sideboard! Really looks like a page out of a magazine!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your usual touches of elegance abound. I always imagine myself seated at your beautiful table enjoying the warmth of your company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table is just gorgeous, I love the flatware! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snowy woods table is most elegant. You have some lovely white dishes to mix together. The mercury glass elements certainly offer a sparkling treat down the center of your table. Well done, Cherry Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So elegant and romantic. Your centerpiece is stunning and all your dishes are perfect. A++

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous table, Cherry Kay! You met the challenge beautifully! You always have such beautiful tables!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful, Cherry Kay! Your centerpiece is just amazing, and the whole table just sparkles! Can't go wrong with white and brown!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So elegant, Cherry Kay! I love the frosty gleam from the mercury glass pumpkins and gourds -- they look wonderful with the pinecones twined around them. I've noticed that limiting our colors really produces serene tables. Not my usual style, but very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really lovely! Your centerpiece is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cherry Kay - this is so lovely! I just wish that I could think, about snowy weather. It was 86 degrees here yesterday!! Love your plate stack and I totally agree with you, about luncheon plates - I have been buying those or very large salad plates lately. Your centerpiece is fantastic and perfectly arranged. Gorgeous, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning table. The snowy pine cones, the mercury glass and just the right mix of white and brown. Gorgeous! I also found those hammered chargers at goodwill one day.

    Peggy from pa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful Cherry Kay, I love your snow and ice inspiration! Your sideboard is especially fabulous! You have so many wonderful white and silver pieces, it would be great fun to bundle up at this table!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so stunning, Cherry Kay! The silver mercury pumpkins are just gorgeous. Beautiful layering of white plates...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautifully elegant, Cherry Kay. Your choice of dishes certainly met the challenge...and that flatware is gorgeous. You always have some of the most charming centerpieces and this one is no exception.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am loving your pine cone garland. Of course, I have wanted some mercury glass pumpkins for years. Seems as if there is just one when I found one.

    You skillfully wove your tablescape together for a beautiful table with much interest and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun idea to ask the guests to come in the color of ice and snow for dinner. I think I may just use that for a dinner party! What a stunning table. I just love the mercury glass pumpkins and picked a few up myself this year. Your garland is so elegant and the perfect companion to white. I just love all of the white tables no matter what time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love a white table and that you have named yours Snowy Woods! We are at our cabin this weekend and some years we have snow in October. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful table, CK, the centerpiece steals the show. The mercury pumpkins are wonderful.
    Thanks for taking the challenge at Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So beautiful. Such gorgeous flatware!

    You're always welcome at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so in love with this table. You have met the white challenge perfectly. Your mercury glass centerpiece is totally stunning, what a beautiful collection of mercury glass you have. As always I love the wine glass cabinets. I will be searching forever to find two cabinets half as lovely as yours. Wonderful job! Bravo!!! .... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  26. BEAUTIFUL!! I love the mercury glass but I am also loving that pumpkin patch on the buffet!! Your whole dinning room has been transformed to a fabulous fall splendor!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous Cherry Kay. You always set a beautiful table and now you have met the challenge perfectly. Your snowy woods table has such a calmness with the mercury class and especially those pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram