Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Bittersweet for Fall, 11.6.13

"First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. During this beautiful season when we celebrate harvest and Thanksgiving, I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.


Today was the Kappa Alpha Theta Flaming Festival, always a delightful time to reconnect with friends whom you don't see regularly the rest of the year.  Yesterday was spent setting up tables for the enjoyment of those attending.  The festival was a marvelous time, as always, and tonight I am worn slick.  I'll share pics of the wonderful tablescapes over the next few weeks.

This evening I'm sharing a table that I created for out of town guests who were here last weekend.  We didn't end up using the table because Sweet Mister decided that he wanted to take us all out to dinner.

Games table in the living room...flip-top tabletop to create a 60" round table for six....you know the drill.

The door bell rang the morning that I was brainstorming ideas for the table...

...and these lovely blossoms were sitting on the front porch, a thank you gift from friends whom we entertained with an evening out the previous week.  I set them in the Coalport Bittersweet centerpiece bowl, and I was off to the races.

I paired the bowl and flowers with a quartet of cobalt depression glass candlesticks and a grouping of faux pumpkins.  Centerpiece...done.

 The orange Bormioli  glass charger seemed an obvious choice for my Autumn table highlighting clear, high colors.

 Returning to lessons from the color chart, I chose the Coalport Spearpoint dinner plate for the strong pop of cobalt on the rim of the plate.   
 The leading lady of the stack was the Colcough Bittersweet luncheon plate.  Tidbit:  Did you notice that although the centerpiece bowl matches the luncheon plate perfectly, they were made by two different manufacturers?  This is not uncommon, especially it seems, with the English potters.  It is interesting to note that a variety of companies produced versions of the same pattern.  One good example is the Indian Tree pattern.  Check it out...I think that just about every company made their own Indian Tree design at one time or another.  Additionally, sometimes when one company would go out of business, another pottery company would step in to purchase certain molds and transferware patterns, and the design would continue, with minor differences.

 Picking up on the soft browns in the luncheon plate, I added the Horchow brown handled flatware and one of Nana's madeira and lace napkins with Cuisine Kathleen's gift, the Waverly beaded napkin ring.

 Continuing with more accent colors from the Bittersweet pieces, I paired the Vietri green optic goblet with the AJKA Arabella cobalt wine goblet.  The silver and cobalt salt cellars were our dear Nana's.

I really liked the way that this design worked with the living room colorscape...

I look forward to using this grouping again...another time.  Maybe I'll lay my table with it once more when you happen to pass my way.  I'd really like that!

This week I'm joining the following parties...with thanks to the hostesses!

Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

25 comments:

  1. herry Kay, I'm having trouble getting the images to load tonight, but I can see snippets of each photo. I can see that it's gorgeous!
    Eager to meet up with you tomorrow afternoon. Will send you a text in the morning. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table...love the plates. The blue and green goblets look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table is gorgeous!! I love how you brought out the blue in your dishes with accents throughout the table. That cobalt blue is a real eye-catcher and creates excitement in your color scheme. I enjoyed my visit and your table decor!
    His blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lovely lady.
    Your Tablescape is Gorgeous as always with all the Beautiful dishes you have put together for us. I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Fall Tablescape, hope you and your family have a wonderful week.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry Kay,
    This table is so beautiful...I especially love those little salt cellars.they make the table so glamorous..and you are right, this table fits so nicely into the whole room...beautiful..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. this table is amazing!! Thank you for sharing. You always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tablescapes always look so wonderful and are an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cherry Kay,
    You set a lovely table. I love your glassware & china. Such beautiful colors. Hope you have a great week.
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Cherry Kay. I bet your guests were impressed with your creativity. Beautiful mixing the orange and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your centerpiece is so eye catching and the four candlesticks surrounded by pumpkins are lovely. Then to add the deep green and cobalt crystal that really pop the collectible plates was perfect. It was interesting that different companies made pieces with the same pattern.

    Another great table as only you can do! Enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful Cherry Kay, you got to set the table but didn't have to wash the dishes!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful color combination! I always love to come to your table!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful table my friend, what a shame your guests missed sitting at this lovely setting! The chargers are terrific and go perfect paired with the gorgeous dishes and I also love them in orange. Thank you for popping in to see me, I love it when you do!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous table...we all know, by now, blue/green is my favorite color combo, but it is actually quite stunning with orange.
    Have a wonderful week, Cherry Kay...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Wow, those Bittersweet plates. I have never seen them before, but boy are they gorgeous. Lovely table, as always. Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful table, so colorful! Love seeing you getting use from the Waverly napkin rings. I must use mine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, Cherry Kay...that brilliant blue with the emerald green was spectacular! All your other lovely Coalport pieces just add to the luster. I know your guests loved seeing the attention to detail to went to in their honor, even if you didn't get to eat at those lovely place settings.

    I hope you had or are having a wonderful time with Sarah in TX. I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tables are such an inspiration to me! Love the blue glasses with the orange and then the "fall" florals. I am a green person…as I have a lot of greens in my home. Green is the curtains and pillows and with gold/beige wallpaper and sand furnishing. For the fall/winter, I pop in red. But, to balance it out- I have a nice blue in there too because- if I take it out- it seems like something is missing. I see the blue on your table does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Chargers are so perfect to start this beautiful stack of dishes. The Bittersweet luncheon plates and the cobalt stems and cobalt candle holders are totally gorgeous. I just love the whole tablescape.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope all is well, missing updates on your site.
    Suzanne Melson
    Hampton, VA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is all well there? I haven't seen you around and I was worried.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hopefully your guests or you got to put that gorgeous table to use later. I love the depth of color. The chargers and glasses perfectly compliment those plates. I love colorful settings. Hope you are doing well.

    I am going to have to send you my new phone number and get Pat's from you as I no longer have my contacts! It is hard for me to believe it was over a year ago that I had lunch with and got to meet her. Hopefully will get to meet you sometime too.

    I heard you all haves several inches of snow already! The sleet and icy snow are coming down in droves here now.

    Hope all is well with you,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm getting around to catch up on all I missed during my blog break. I see that you have been offline for a time now too, and hope that all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh your table is just beautiful! I'm making the rounds and just wanted to stop by and wish you a Merry Christmas!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted to say I've been thinking of you during this holiday season!
    It has been a long time since you've posted...I hope you are away on some fabulous vacation & that nothing is wrong in your world.

    Have a wonderfully happy & healthy holiday season, Cherry Kay!

    Missing you,
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram