Friday, November 11, 2011

Reprise of "Welcome Home" Luncheon


First things first...We are truly blessed to have the means to set a pretty table and invite our friends to join us for good food and fellowship. As the holiday season progresses I am mindful that many are not so fortunate. My daughter has a passion for the work of the Food Bank. As a singer-songwriter, she has written and recorded a song that is the anthem for the world wide Crop Hunger Walk project. Her song, "Raise Your Voice" is featured in their video. I've included a link in the side margin of my blog. I hope that it will encourage you to support projects in your community that contribute to the effort to overcome hunger.

Tonight for the first time, I'm joining Chari at Happy to Design for 'Sunday Favorites."  I'm     reposting "Welcome Home", a luncheon that I did a year ago for some sorority sisters.  Hop on over and join the fun!



  

My sorority sister was home from the East Coast for the first time in many years.  I received a call to join a group of sisters for lunch at a restaurant.  It didn't take long to convince everyone that it would be more fun to come to my house instead of dining at a restaurant.  Twelve of us gathered for lunch on a late November day.

For this party, I chose Schumann "Empress Dresden Flower" as the focal point of my tablescape. The Carl Schumann factory operated in Arzburg, Germany (Bavaria) from 1881-1996.  Schumann china was famous for its striking resemblance, in both quality and style, to the revered Dresden dinnerware.  Employing the same "Rococo revival" decorating techniques as these more prominent manufactures, Schumann china is known for its colorful fruit and flower patterns, set upon a translucent, eggshell white porcelain.

Although I would normally think of the "Empress" as a perfect choice for a Spring tablescape, I thought that I could adapt it for a Fall setting with the right choice of design elements.  Another feature that I wanted to highlight was our Sorority color combination, "Cardinal and Straw."  You know it as red and yellow.  I started by selecting the rich mahogany of my dining table as the foundation of my design...no tablecloth today.  A large ruby acrylic charger anchored a Godinger, "Silver Baroque" Charger underneath the Empress dinner plate.  My individual covered dessert pedestal waited for the dessert, a cupcake.

      My dear friend Cindy, http://www.moreentertainingwomen.blogspot.com, gave me the wonderful small Empress reticulated ramekins.  Today I placed a tealight inside as a special touch at each placesetting.  Just to the right of the dessert pedestal, you can catch a glimpse of the matching open salt.  I've been slowly collecting tiny silver salt spoons.  I like to have some form of salt dispenser at hand for each guest.  The monogrammed napkin belonged to my mother-in-love.  The soft yellow border is organdy, and the field of the napkin is a substantial weight linen.  I don't know the maker.  Another time, I'm certain that I'll share the amazing matching tablecloth.  There are actually two cloths in this pattern.  Sweet Mister's brother has the one for a smaller table.  I believe that this was part of my mother-in-love's trousseau from the early 1940's.  We are blessed to have it to share with friends and family who come to our table.  Today I used my wedding silver, Reed & Barton, "Grande Renaissance."  I thought that the filagree design complimented the ornate design of the china.

  The Waterford "Simply Pink," is an interesting goblet.  It adapts to many different shades of pink and red, and I enjoy using it frequently.  Today I paired it with our precious Nana's antique French crystal wine goblet.  I've never found anyone who can identify the maker and pattern.  If anyone recognizes it, I'd love to have more information about this lovely old crystal.

For the centerpiece, I used a Rosenthal, "Sanssouci" tureen seated on a Haviland, "Ranson" chop plate.  I elevated it on an oriental wooden stand.  Tip:  I've collected a number of tureens...for a purpose.  I often use them for centerpieces; I like that I can set a nice table with a minimum of flowers...very budget friendly.  The tureen is flanked by my Val St. Lambert crystal candlesticks and a pair of Indiana Glass, "Ruby Flash" footed compotes featuring my floral arrangements.  Once again I found the flowers at Sam's.  The tureen was a great estate sale "get," and I bought the chop plate and the compotes on eBay.  

To emphasize the "Cardinal and Straw,"  I used clear glass cylindrical vases, tied with wide red Picot ribbon and holding long stemmed yellow roses, to flank Nana's Towle, "Lafayette," silver tea service.  The large gold mirror and the silver and crystal chandelier were also Nana's.  The chandelier originally hung in Nana's home when it was built in 1920.  We've been grateful to be its caretakers for many years.


      Everything was all set for our wonderful luncheon.  Each guest brought a covered dish, and the food was delicious!  We sat at the table and visited until after 6:00 PM!  I think that's a pretty good indication that our gathering was a complete success.  We could have shared the left overs for dinner.  I look forward to the next opportunity to open my home for these precious women who are such an integral component of my personal history.  Someday, I'd love to have you share food, fellowship, and fun at my table, too!


Thank you, yet again, to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for hosting her magical meme, "Tablescape Thursday.  I'll be linking my post to "Tablescape Thursday.  Click on the button below to hop on over and check out the myriad of marvelous tablescape designs, after 9:00 pm on Wednesdays.  You'll be glad that you made the trip...it's a wonderful adventure.





You can check out KC's music at www.kcclifford.com, on iTunes, and on YouTube.  I hope that you'll take a few minutes and give her a listen.  You'll also enjoy reading back through her blog on this site.  The girl can really write!  Her latest CD is called "Orchid."  

Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

13 comments:

  1. Exquisite! Your tables are always so elegant. I love the little candle holders at each setting.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gesture to host the luncheon at your home... perfect way to catch up!!! Your setting looks divine, and I'm certain your guests enjoyed themselves very much!!! xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table is more beautiful than ever. What a beauty. I love the cranberry glasses and those small crown shaped bowls are divine. You are very truly lucky to have such wonderful beautiful things. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have exquisite taste. Your tables are so elegantly dressed with gorgeous dinnerware and accessories. I really enjoy visiting so I can appreciate all of the love you put into your tables.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tablescape as always! I love the Waterford goblets! The pink adds such a pretty touch. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful song and voice! Bet you are proud! Love your beautiful table and your roon is fabulous! Thanks for visting my post.Yes,I have a Babylock Ellismo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cherry Kay...

    I'm most certain that you and all of your soroity sisters had a fabulous time! They certainly had the most lovely table to dine at, catch up, and just enjoy one another's company! You always set the most beautiful tables, Cherry Kay! This table is soooo exquisite with the pattern of china that you chose for the place settings. Ohhh...and I DO LOVE the Godinger charger plate..it's gorgeous! I also love that you used your soroity colors for the tablescape...that just makes everything that more special and memorable! Using a tureen as part of the centerpiece really is a great idea. I do that often just because I love the look of a pretty tureen!

    Well dear lady, thank you so much for sharing this special table with us for Sunday Favorites today! This was truly a treat! You know how I love a pretty tablescape! I hope you're having a super sweet Sunday, my friend!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazingly, exquisite table setting! Beautiful to every detail!
    Love it,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to give you my heart felt thanks for the lovely tables you set and the wonderful detail of where each piece came from. This makes for a very enjoyable experience and a delight to behold. Happy Tablescaping! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that you brought this gorgeous table back to the forefront.. There is not one element that I don't simply love..The empress dishes would be perfect any time.. great table Cherry Kay! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exquisite is the word that comes to mind! It is absolutely a gorgeous setting! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just takes my breath away! Such gorgeous pieces all so beautifully blended in your special way, Cherry Kay. OUTSTANDING! These women are truly blessed to have you in their life. You open your lovely home & feed people so frequently, I think your Mister should install some revolving doors! LOL

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just today I found a set of dishes very similar to these. And last week I "won" on eBay a set of 6 silver chargers with a beautiful pierced edge. I'm so excited to use them this summer at a fancy tea party! Like you, I have been blessed with some wonderful friends with whom I can make lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram