Friday, February 3, 2017

Kathy's Birthday, January, 2017

It seems like it's only been moments that I've been back blogging and communicating with all of you.  I think that's why it seems so unreal that I must tell you all that I find myself preparing for another surgery next week.  I have a mass in my left lung that needs to be removed.  All of the tests show that it is not cancer, but it has continued to slowly grow; and my pulmonologist says that it must come out.  Drats!  I was just getting back into the swing of things with my entertaining.  Depending on what must be done to remove the mass, I'll be in the hospital any time from 3 days to 2 weeks.  I'm praying for God's perfect will, whatever that is.  As soon as possible, I'll return to share my tablescapes with you.  I just didn't want you to think that I had dropped off the face of the Earth.  Your prayers are coveted, and I thank you in advance.  It does not go unnoticed by me that I am surrounded by some mighty prayer warriors, and I thank God for you.  In the meantime, I want to share the birthday luncheon that I hosted last week for my dear friend, Kathy.  Her favorite color combination is blue, white, and yellow....mine, too!  We're in the living room at the games table.  Come on in and join us...

I've always been fond of Jacobean floral prints.  I found this polished chintz tablecloth on eBay.  I think it was made for celebrating, don't you?!

 Mixing and matching this tablescape was so much fun.  Let's take a look at the elements...For starters, the AJKA King Louis cobalt goblet and the Tiffin Elyse wine added that extra little jewel-like sparkle to the landscape.

A feature player in so many of my productions, the Mottadeheh Blue Lace charger never fails to please.  Today it is flanked by the L'Argent Sophia Gold flatware.  I found mine at Tuesday Morning and on Horchow.  Tip:  This is a pretty inexpensive flatware, and I always wash it by hand and never allow it to soak in the dish water.  The rule of thumb is: if flatware is two piece construction, never allow it to soak because eventually the soaking will undermine the adhesive that holds your pieces together.  You'll end up with a drawer full of parts.  Now who would want that?  Not I.   
 
The leading role was carried by the Mottahedeh Blue Canton dinner plate.  This one was on my "someday" list.  I absolutely don't "need" it...I drove through Need about 175 miles ago.  This one is a definite self indulgence. Side note:  Marlis of Creative Journeys told me that there really is a Need, Texas not too very far from where she lives in Lubbock, Texas.  Who knew?!


The first course was a tomato basil soup.  I bought this unmarked bowl and under plate at an estate sale.  It had belonged to a precious couple, two of Sweet Mister's mom's closest friends.   When we were first engaged to be married, they made me feel like I belonged.  They were always so kind and loving to me.  I adore having something of theirs in my collection.  I think of them every time I use it.

So...have a seat, grab your Williams-Sonoma navy linen hem-stitched napkin, and remove the Coalport Countryware napkin ring.   

One of the reasons I like to use tureens in my centerpieces is they never break the 12-inches high rule.  I always try to make sure that my guests can see each other across the table.  After all, it's not just about the food.  Fellowship, relationship, and lots of visiting and laughter are the name of the game at my tables!
 
The quartet of petite bouquets are placed in small white footed jardinieres.  The jardinieres originally held Seda France candles.  I burn the candles as fast and as often as possible to build my collection of these wonderful little vases.

Ooooh, the curtain is about to rise.  Three acts today...the soup, followed by chicken tetrazzini, green salad, and hot garlic bread, and the final act...Italian Cream Cake.  Now you may ask, "Does she serve the same things all the time?"  Pretty much.  I just change my audience all the time, not my menu.

Well, this one may have to hold my passion for tablescaping for a while.  I'm going to miss entertaining, and I'm going to miss you all, too.  I'll be back as soon as possible. When I do return, I still hope that one of you will come my way one day and allow me to set a table just for you!  I'll invite some of my dear friends to join us.  You all are going to love each other!  In the meantime...Until we meet again...To Be Continued.

This week I'm joining:



Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

20 comments:

  1. A beautiful table and I loved your wise words and gracious attitude. I will hold the best thoughts for your quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting us know, giving us the opportunity to pray specifically for your medical professionals and your healing. Your faith shines through your posts, and it will sustain you through this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful table. I love the shape of the bowls (and the sweet story that goes along with them). Blue and yellow is so pretty together - and as always, I love that you use your tureens as a centerpiece! I am wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery and will be praying and thinking of you - keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isaiah 53 ... and by his (Jesus) wounds we are healed. Hold onto that promise.
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Waiting for a speedy recovery to see you back in "blogland."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your surgery and recovery! Looking forward to more beautiful tablescapes from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you prayers for a healthy recuperation! Will be looking forward to more beautiful tablescapes once you're recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you prayers for a healthy recuperation! Will be looking forward to more beautiful tablescapes once you're recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherry Kay, I'm late reading this post, but just this morning I ready your daughter's FB post. You are most certainly in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will be back soon, setting beautiful tables, and entertaining as only you can do. I treasure our friendship and send hugs of love and comfort your way, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very late in catching up but I am glad that I came by your post Cherry Kay. You know that you are now in my prayers and I look forward to hearing that you are back to doing all the things you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just now saw this post. I hope you are well. Am sending prayers and good thoughts for your healing. N from VA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers and hugs!! Please keep us posted,we all care!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thinking of you in Virginia...hope things are going your way and look forward to more beautiful tables in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been visiting here every day to see if you are as you said in January" back into the swing of things". Hope all went well with the operation. Update?
    Ida in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's another stunningly gorgeous tablescape! Love love the color combo and am soooo loving those Mottahedeh chargers. The sweet town is actually Needmore.. and it's so fitting for those of us who love pretty things. I too have a few items that belonged to dear friends, it's such a comforting feeling. The bowls and underplates are so unique and charming. Love them. How's recovery??? xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for checking on me. I'm getting stronger every day, and in the long run, I believe the removal of the mass in my lungs will be a blessing. Because it was growing, it was determined to be malignant. Fortunately for me it was not cancer. Thank you, sweet Lord! Regardless, the surgeon had to remove a section of my upper left lobe, and the recovery is slow. I still wear out quickly. Who knew that breathing could be all that important? 😲😜.

      In addition, Sweet Mister decided to "surprise" me by having our kitchen updated. Of course, he thought it could be completed while I was in the hospital. Not! The result: I've had workmen in the house since the day I came home from the hospital. We've come far enough along that the new cabinet hardware was installed today, and the electrician will be here Monday to install our new kitchen ceiling fixtures. Hopefully! I've slowly begun the process of reloading and reorganizing all the cabinets and drawers. I will say that the whole process has served as a good distraction to get my mind off myself, and I'm also thrilled with the results that I'm seeing come to fruition each day. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to set my table for our Easter luncheon and then publish a new blog about it!

      Again I so appreciate you! Thanks for caring about me enough to keep checking.
      Love, Cherry Kay

      Delete
  16. Love to read your update!
    Yes breathing is important and a full time work 24/7 :-)
    Tace care and God bless!
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad things are going your way! Can't wait for a new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm thankful that you are doing well! and a NEW KITCHEN......ahhhhhhhh!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello CK,
    Love, love, love the blue/yellow combination. Regards, Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram