Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Five O'Clock Tea Club Tablecloth, 4.9.18

 In the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's our Nana belonged to The Five O'Clock Tea Club with many of her friends, all of them wives of highly successful leaders in our city.  After decades of wonderful times with the other club ladies, the 60's had rolled around, and Nana was probably one of the last living members.  As a result, I'm guessing that she was the club member left in charge of the Five O'Clock Tea Club tablecloth.  Last week I was blessed to  share a selection of my collection of china, silver, and antique linens with The Oklahoma Art League for their April Guest Day Meeting.  One of those items was the Five O'Clock Tea Club's tablecloth.  Once again, it found its way to the center of a lovely ladies' tea. I'll primarily let you get a look at our tea table and the centerpiece for the group of about 80 ladies.  Come on in and join us...
  
For the third time in less than 30 days, tulips are the flowers of choice.  By now you're familiar with the Accent Decor tulipiere.  The flowers were arranged at my house three days prior to the meeting.  They were in full bloom this day.  I chose the colors for a painterly effect.  I kept thinking of a painter's palette covered with dabs of color.  

 The Herend Queen Victoria tureen was a unanimous choice by the hospitality committee.  It's also making a third appearance this month; it's hard to get tired of this lovely dame.  Teapots here include Wedgwood, Coalport, Royal Albert, Bernardaud Limoges, and a darling pink stoneware teapot.

When I go to estate sales, I frequently add to my collection of oriental wooden stands.  Today some of them combined to charming effect as we elevated each of the elements in our centerpiece. 

Nana's pair of silver pedestal shells were just right for the lemon curd, which accompanied cranberry-orange scones.  You can't have a tea without scones, right?!

It seems rare that anyone takes coffee or tea after a meal anymore, so it was really fun to pull out an assortment of teacups for the ladies to sup their tea.  We served a French Caramel Crème Brûlée tea by Teaoli. Find it if you can.  So delicious!  This is another of Nana's cutwork linen cloths.  Teacups included Lenox Beltane, Castleton Laurel, Royal Copenhagen God Fan. and Coalport Countryware. Replacements were waiting in the kitchen.  Tea was served from a pair of Silver Urns at either end of the table.

 Here's a pretty good look at the tea club's tablecloth.  It's about 100 years old now.  It's over 200" long, and I had to create a pair of folds to reduce the length for today's table.

 Teapots included Russian china, Meissen Blue Onion, Bernadaud Limoges Artois, and a Mad Hatter teapot that KC brought me from one of her trips to Australia.  The empty spots on both sides of the table would soon be filled with silver trays laden with a fresh assortment of tiny tea sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches were mandatory, of course!

 Lace cookies with milk chocolate filling, Macarones, and the Cranberry Orange Scones waited to be uncovered.  The tea party was enjoyed after the group's business meeting and program.

 I pulled several patterns of luncheon plates for the ladies as they selected their goodies.  Here, the Schumann Empress Dresden Flowers reticulated plate.

 Coalport Sèvres Group luncheon plates.


It was indeed a job for our committee to pull, pack, transport, unload, layout each item for our tea, clear, wash and dry, and then repeat the process to return everything home, but it was so worth the time and effort.  The happy faces of our guests, the enthusiastic conversations that permeated the fellowship hall, the pronounced lack of leftovers...all of these were more than enough to make me willing to do it again the next time the occasion presents itself.  The next time you have the opportunity to share your lovely things with one of your organizations, go for it!  You'll be tired, of course, but there will be no denying the contented smile on your face.

This week I'm joining:

Tablescape Thursday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch

Inspire Me Tuesday with Marty @ A Stroll Through Life

Life and Linda @ Dishing It and Digging It Blog Party
Entertaining Women
Entertaining Women

Hello, I'm Cherry Kay I was 40 before I realized that I am an artist. I love to paint, work in clay, rubber stamping, design tablescapes, entertain, and share ideas. I'm an interior designer wanna-be...no credentials, but lots of experience.

8 comments:

  1. What lovely tables you set. Was delighted to see my china-Empress DresdenFlowers featured on one of them. Wish I had more occasions to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, does this remind me of my grandmother, who always set a beautiful table even if there was NO occasion. That table is absolutely splendid and I know how you treasure the tablecloth, just as I would. And, what fun to have an afternoon like this one. I envy you so much. Houston is in mourning for Mrs. Bush, as most of us who live in the area would see her out and about often. What a wonderful woman, what a legacy she has left for all the world to behold.
    Sending a big hug, CK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a better custodian of the special tea cloth than you, Cherry Kay. I think it's wonderful to have such an heirloom! Love the idea of the tea pots down the center of the table for the centerpiece, and the tulips are gorgeous! I'm going to make a run to Trader Joe's tomorrow to see if by chance they still have tulips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherry Kay, thank you for this wonderful post. You have such incredibly beautiful things and you excel at appreciating them, caring for them, and sharing them, both in real life and on your blog! My goodness, a 200-inch handmade cutwork tablecloth-- it must have been made for a table seating 24! I love your design with the tulips, wooden stands, teapots, and tureen. Such a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry Kay, you have some beautiful collections of china. The cloth is so beautiful, what a treasure! You sure know how to set a beautiful table. I know your guests must have felt so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...Such eye candy!! What a treasure to have that lovely tablecloth...if only it could talk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was your Nana's name? My grandpa's wife recently gave me an old cookbook called Favorite Recipes compiled by the Five O'Clock Tea Club, Oklahoma City, 1935. Perhaps she was part of this same group. There are names of members in the cookbook and name attribution for each recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Article, very accurate and informative. I will read more in my free time. Thanks.
    https://personality-tests-online.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your time to leave a comment. I read each and every one of your generous thoughts. They encourage me in so many ways.

Follow Me on Instagram